I haven’t known how to write this. I’ve known for a couple of months. But it hasn’t made anything better — in fact, everything has become worse.
As I sit here drinking my morning coffee in my favourite chair, out of my favourite mug, I’m hoping I won’t die today.
This has probably been one of the most trying weeks of my life. Last Wednesday, I had a MAJOR reaction (see post here). The smell went away some time over 24 hours later. I burned candles to hide the smell, kept doors closed, fans off, and door jambs covered. I bubbled my self as best I could. I was Bena-drunk™ for days! (Bena-drunk™ (definition: being hopped up on Benadryl and in a constant state of sleepy stupor – but not dying). My frickin’ gums even itched. It was bad.
Apparently the effects of the allergic reaction have been lurking under the surface for the past 6 days. Sunday night, the roof of my mouth and my tongue began burning – as if I had literally burned it. I woke up Monday morning unable to breathe. It felt like a respiratory cold. My youngest woke up with a cold, so I figured that this was my version of it. Then my tongue began to swell (on top of the burning). I started taking Benadryl and Tylenol. The burning moved to my throat. I took more Benadryl and took a nap.
I woke up and the roof of my mouth had swollen. Time to go to Emerge. I drove myself over to the hospital ER. The Triage Nurse asked me what was going on. My reply: “I don’t know”.
Side Bar – The Negative Tests
The allergy skin test from July… all zeros. I’m not allergic. I took a blood test, which tested onions and garlic. Nothing.
In the bottom corner there is a note to try a challenge. Instead of spending another $30 on doing it in office, I put on my stupid big-girl socks and did one at home… because I’m awesome.
I swelled, itched, burned, suffered for a good 48 hours. I could NOT get the taste out of my mouth, no matter what I tried. I burped it for 12 hours. The sliver of onion was literally the size of my wee finger nail. I’M FRICKIN’ ALLERGIC TO SOMETHING IN ONIONS!!!!
I talked with my Family Doctor. She thought that maybe I could be allergic to sulphites. My allergist said that he cannot test for Sulphites. So we are ASSUMING that I’m allergic to sulphites. (read my suspicion here).
Sulphites naturally occur in onions and several other foods. (look here)
Back to Reality
I presented at the ER last night with the following symptoms:
- swelling of tongue and mouth
- burning of tongue and mouth
- shortness of breath
- trouble swallowing
I could not say for sure that it was an allergic reaction, because there was no rash or hives. I thought it might be viral or an infection, hence my “I don’t know” answer to the Triage Nurse.
The ER doctor gave me some Zantac and Prednisone and watched me. The Zantac was for the BURNING STOMACH ACID that was all over my tongue and mouth. This eventually subsided so that the pain was not as great. The Prednisone is standard issue for an allergic reaction and tackles the swelling.
About an hour later, my burning and swelling orifice went from a 7/10 to a 3/10. The swollen trachea/throat/esophagus went from a 10/10 to a 4/10. So I was “better”. I was sent home with a 2-day course of Prednisone and I picked up some extra Zantac.
I just popped the first dose of my 2-day dose of Prednisone. Let the good times roll.
Some Good Reads:
Am I Allergic to Onions & Garlic if I Am Allergic to Sulfa Antibiotics?
Sulfites and Chronic Disease